Our Corporate Social Responsibility
Regeneration and the creation of local jobs are the focal points of Westfield UK’s community efforts having delivered three major retail regeneration projects in Derby and its two London centres in Shepherd’s Bush and Stratford (the first piece of the London 2012 legacy). Having invested £3.5bn since entering the UK, these projects have created 25,000 new jobs in the UK and over 30,000 construction jobs. A further £2.5bn will be invested and 13,000 more jobs created as Westfield continues to develop in the UK. Supporting children’s health and education is also important and in 2012 Westfield launched its key charity partnership with Save the Children.
Westfield London and Westfield Stratford City have pioneered the regeneration of two key areas of London. In the West, The White City Opportunity Area is one of the most exciting regeneration opportunities with potential to deliver huge benefits for the W12 area and beyond. Westfield London is seen as a catalyst for the future development and regeneration of the wider White City Opportunity Area, including Shepherdís Bush town centre, and the cornerstone for future investment which is anticipated to be in excess of £1 billion over the next 10 years.
In the East, Westfield Stratford City was the first piece of the Olympic legacy and will continue to play an important regeneration role as the area continues to be transformed with the reopening of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and further residential and office investments.
Westfield Stratford City is a metropolitan capital for East London, a city within a city, an innovative and dynamic place for a new generation of consumer to shop, to eat, to meet, to be entertained and to stay.
At the gateway to the Olympic Park, with spectacular views over London, Westfield Stratford City opens up a whole new vantage point to the public, a new way to see and experience the City.
Save the Children
Westfield is committed to continuously improving the environmental performance of its shopping centres and minimising their environmental impact. Below are some of the highlights of our environmental programme at Westfield Stratford City:
- Zero waste to landfill – the large majority is recycled and anything that can’t be recycled goes to energy recovery. This includes all of the waste from our retailers
- Low energy lighting and other innovative technologies to reduce energy use and carbon emissions
- Rainwater harvesting - we collect rainwater in tanks on the roofs and use this for flushing the customer toilets
- Waterless urinals – our customer urinals use a waterless system to save water
- Onsite brown roof with wildflowers and bird and bat boxes, pocket parks and living wall to encourage biodiversity
- ISO14001 accreditation – awarded in 2013 in recognition of our effective environmental management system and commitment to continuous improvement.
Our Westfield Stratford City and Westfield London centres achieved BREEAM Excellent and Very Good rating in recognition of our efforts to improve, innovate and make effective use of resources. We have been certified to ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems since 2013, as we continuously manage the immediate and long term environmental impacts of Westfield’s products, services and processes. In 2016, Westfield received the Carbon Trust Triple Award in recognition of our work on Climate Change. We successfully reduced our carbon emission year on year.
Our UK and European Developments will operate to BREEAM Standards. We employ an integrated approach to design, construction, management and evaluation of environmental, social and economic impacts across the full life cycle of our developments.
- West London Business Awards - (Green Business of the Year) 2015
- Sceptre Waste Management Award 2016
- Corporate Engagement Awards (CEA) 2016
- Green Apple Award 2016
- Mobility Parking UK Awards (Shopping Centre Experience Award) 2018
- Green Apple Environment Award 2018
- Sceptre Energy Management Award 2016
- National business award - The Business Award for Sustainability
- Energy Awards - Commercial Building Energy Project
- Edie Sustainability Leaders Awards
Please click on the links below for more information: